Download Recipe: Chef Steven’s 4 Hour Caramelized Onions
Cook Time: 4 Hours
Makes: 2 Cups
8 Large Walla Walla onions sliced thin
1 Stick of non salted butter
3 Branches of fresh thyme
3 Cloves of garlic minced
1 Tablespoon of salt
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1 Large Heavy Pot
1 Wooden spoon
1 Cutting board
1. Over medium-high heat melt butter in pot.
2. Once melted add garlic and salt, cook until garlic is fragrant (about ten seconds).
3. Add sliced onions and thyme stir together to coat onions.
4. Turn the heat to low. Stir every 25-30 minutes (be sure to scrape the bottom of pot so onions don't burn.)
5. At 3.5 hours, remove thyme branches, add sugar and mixed together with onions. (Watch carefully tomake sure onions don't burn during this stage.)
6. At 4 hours the onions will become dark brown and ready to eat.